20/20 Vision

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Good Books

There's something about a good book. There are a few books I have found along life's way that sparked my imagination in a way that influenced my life in a positive way.

The Marvelous Adventures of Alvin Fernald - This one was featured in our third grade reading book and my teacher noticed how enthralled I was with the story and made a big deal of saying in front of the class that I seemed to be alot like Alvin and asked me if I invented things. Loving the attention, I lied that I did and spent the rest of the school year trying to invent things and live up to my new found reputation as boy inventor. I was delighted to find there was a whole book of Alvin Fernald's adventures offered by Schoolastic Books, a company that you could order from periodically through the teacher and it was my Bible until fourth grade when I got ...

The Mad Scientists Club - A whole pack of boy inventor/scientists who had access to things I could only dream of like army surplus equipment but it didn't stop me from at least planning and dreaming of having the kind of adventures and capers they had.

Huckleberry Finn - We had to read this one in the sixth grade and by the time we were through with it, my cousin Hayden and I had serious plans of taking a raft or canoe on an amazing river adventure as soon as we were old enough.

The Forum Quorum - I'm not sure if this was the actual title of the book, but it was a "how to" guide on starting a rock group and it took a group of boys from naming the group, buying their instruments, getting a manager, cutting a record etc. right to the point where they performed on The Mike Douglas Show. The boy bass player got a Hofner Beatle Bass just like Paul McCartney's and I coveted that bass for years until I got one.

The Beatles by Hunter Davies - I checked this one out of the library at least once a year from the time I was in the seventh grade until the summer between tenth and eleventh grade when I hitched a ride into Hamilton along with my cousins Hayden and Charlie with the express mission of buying a pair of bell-bottom jeans and checking out the book which I did. We hitched a ride home and realized after it was too late that I'd left the book and the jeans in the car.

The Holy Bible - I've read the Bible from cover to cover a few times and studied it in Bible college. I need to read it and study it again.

Highway 50 Ain't that America - by a small town newspaper editor who lived in Ocean City Maryland where US 50 begins. Realizing that he needed a change in his life, he took his savings out of the bank, quit his job and spent two years taking US 50 all the way across the country to Sacramento California where it ends. The cool part is that he takes an old Ford LTD that has mechanical problems and takes on jobs along the way and gets to know people through the heart of America's back road. I turn 50 this year and plan on taking a US 50 coming of age trip along as much of it as I can in one week. As you can see, my taste in books and adventure have really never changed. I'm the same person I was in the third grade. Hmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home